HRC fuse helps in protecting the circuit from overcurrents. An electric fuse needs to be installed with a carrier or a fuse disconnector board. The sizes of the fuses with every brand usually come in different sizes like 000, 00, 0, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05 up to 1600A.
As the HRC fuse works according to the heating process, its body is made up using Steatite material. The body helps with protecting against high dynamic force and heat.
Other connotations of HRC fuse:
- High Rupturing Capacity Fuse (aka HRC fuse)
- NH fuse
- Fuse link
- Knife type fuse
- HRC link
Role Of A HRC Fuse
The main role of the HRC fuse is to carry the normal current without excessive heating. It is designed to carry a specific amount of current without opening. The fuse element continues to carry the current as long as there’s a balance in the heat flow. Once the balance in heat distribution is disturbed because of overload or short circuit, the heat generated is greater than what the fuse element can bear. The heat then leads it to reach its melting point and break, interrupting the current flow to the circuit.
The conductor inside HRC fuses heats up to a level that causes it to melt, disconnecting the load from the supply within milliseconds. An arc is generated within the fuse destroyed by the quartz silica sand filler material.
HRC also has status indicators to predict the open or closed position of the fuse.
Advantages Of HRC Fuse
- High-speed operation.
- Reduces electromagnetic stress due to low let-through energy, low cut-off characteristics, and low cut-off energy.
- It is energy-saving as there are low power losses.
- It has a high breaking capacity.
- After a short circuit, there are no gases released.
- Long lifespan
- Is pocket friendly
- High resistance to ageing.
- Compact dimensions
- The fuse of some models includes a status indicator.
Disadvantages Of HRC Fuse
- Every time an opening is made, you should replace it.
- Due to its open design, it could pose safety risks.
- Maintaining and replacing it is expensive.
- The motor works in two phases if one of the fuses blows in a three-phase circuit.
- The time-delay feature of high-speed fuses is absent from general industrial fuses.
- The technology is outdated.
What One Should Keep In Mind During HRC Fuse Selection
- Which application is needed? Is it cable protection or motor protection?
- Check the system voltage available.
- A full load current is available.
- A faultless overload current.
- Possible fault conditions and maximum short-circuit current.
- Time-current curve.
- Cut-off curve.
- Its size.
Applications Of HRC Fuse
- Suitable for radial and ring networks.
- Back up the MCBs.
- The motor circuit protection device protects against short-term overloads and short circuits occurring in operational motor circuits.
- Protects switching devices that include circuit breakers and contactors from short circuits.
If you want to know more about HRC fuses, you can always go through IndoAsian.